Sunday 1 January 2012

New Beginnings at By The Cute and Girly

Happy New Year!! The first challenge of the year is up at By The Cute and Girly and this month we have the theme "New Beginnings"- new year, new baby, new house etc.

Although this challenge theme was picked by our dt Kate a while back, it couldn't of been better timed. Apart from it being New Year, we have new beginnings over at By The Cute and Girly, with 6 new dt members joining us for their first challenge today :) If you haven't already checked out the girls blogs, you really should. They all have different styles and are all very talented :)

For the challenge this month, I decided to make a baby pram/carriage. I had a look online for some tutorials/templates, but in the end I decided to just go for it and try make it myself.
I don't have any circle dies except for scalloped circles which I used for the wheels, so I just used a jar and a cup to draw round for the circles.



 I used some Papermania paper and some plain yellow card for the whole thing. As I said I drew around a jar and a smaller plastic cup for the main part, then cut out a section, cut out a strip of card to join the two sides together, added some scalloped circle wheels cut with the smallest scalloped circle nestie, some punched out flowers for the middle and card candy. Then I added some pretty lace and cut out some flourishes with a Marianne Designs die for the handles. I had to cut out 3 layers for each handle to make it strong enough to stay up because with just the one layer they were flopping over, but it was really easy since they were cut with a die so they were all exactly the same size.
I did cut a few swirls off the die cuts as they didn't look right with the full die cut, but I think they look ok now??
My youngest Daughter loved it and claimed it 5 minutes after I made it! I had to ask for it back just so I could get a pic lol.

As usual we have some prizes from our regular sponsors Simon Says Stamp with a $20 gift voucher and Joanna Sheen with a £10 voucher, so why not pop over and enter the challenge? If you win, you could buy yourself a belated Christmas pressie:)

Thanks for stopping by


9 comments:

Aideen said...

Yay-I love this Lora, it's so pretty :) x

Uta said...

Your baby carriage is so lovely. Great realisation of your project.

I wish you and your family a happy new year!

Hugs, Uta

nnalorac said...

So sweet Lora, made a super job even if you didn't have the right tools for the job. Carolxx

Lisa Jane said...

This is fab Lora.. i love it! So cute
A very Happy New Year to you all
Lisa x

Rufus said...

Brilliant job! Not sure I could have managed (or wanted to!) without a pattern!
R/

Bettina L. said...

I just love your pram Lora. Looks beautiful with that gorgeous lace and those gogoeus swirls as handles. Colours are just perfect too. Looking forward to be working with you at BTC&G:) Happy new year. Bettina xx

Kate said...

This looks great Lora, very inventive without a template!!

Happy New Year!

** Kate **

Anonymous said...

Magnificent! (As usual. :-P )

Anonymous said...

good post, added you to my RSS reader.