Tuesday 3 July 2012

Digital Tuesday- Kids and no coloured image from me!

The challenge this week at Digital Tuesday was chosen by me and I chose "Kids"- make a card for a child or use a child image.
Our sponsor this week is the Cutting Cafe who are offering 3 sets from their store for one lucky winner. The winner can choose from anything in the store, so that means cutting files or digi image/sentiment sets.
Regina also gave the design  team two of her sets to play with this week, so I had a choice of using either the pinwheel set or the assorted crown set........of course I chose the crown set lol, and made it really girly :)
I thought these would be great for invitations and since my oldest Daughter (who will be 9 in September) loves all things girly, the princess theme would be great for  her party, but there would also probably be some boys invited too, which is fine because the set also comes with a little price crown collection too :)
I have just used the girly version this time, but I think I may experiment with the other one too. Oh and it also comes with lots of sentiments and as well as the card cutting templates, there is also envelopes and just the crown shapes which have holes on either side so you can make an actual crown. How fun would that be for a kids party? I really wish I had more time and could of used all the elements to show what can be done with this set, but for now, here's what I came up with.

 These files can be easily cut by hand, but I used the SVG file and cut it with my cutter to save a bit of time.
I cut it out on white Bazzill bling cardstock (which I then covered up and you can only see it at the back which I didn't take a pic of lol), but I would suggest using thicker card as it is a bit flimsy since the two sides are only attached together with the tiny point at the top.
The set comes with a front panel since where it folds means that you don't get a full top point (if that makes sense), so I cut that out and then covered it with some pretty Raspberry Road paper and added stardust stickles around the edges.
I then added some lilac tulle with a pearl ribbon slider, glittery lace and a string of pearls. This worked out great because the ends of the lace and tulle are tucked behind the front panel and then stuck on to the card so that there is no mess inside the card to hide:)


I used a sentiment from the set, cut it out with a nestie scalloped circle, then added stardust stickles all over and a heart gem in the centre. The stickles was still wet on the sentiment when I took the pic and look a bit messy, but it has dried up now and looks fine.
I thought it needed something else, so I used a K&Co butterfly sticker which was all glittery already.
I wanted the wings to be off the page, so I stuck the sticker onto some cardstock, then cut it out and just stuck down the body onto the card.

 I also quickly decorated the inside by covering it in pink card and using a strip of the same paper I used on the front.
Covering both sides after cutting them out worked out well because it made the whole card sturdier.

I actually found this card quite difficult to make because it's a lot smaller than the normal size of cards I make, although you could enlarge the template, but with the svg file, both the card template and the extra front panel is on the same page, so you have to cut it out at the same time.
There must be a way to separate the images from each other so you can cut them on their own so you could make them bigger and cut them out in different coloured card (then I wouldn't of needed to cover the whole front panel in paper since I didn't want it white), but I have no idea how to do that lol, so I just made a smaller card. They are a perfect size for invitations though and would  be quite quick to make if you kept the design simple.

Anyway, what do you think of my princess crown? Do you think little girls would like these as birthday cards or for their birthday invitations? My 2 girls love it, so I guess I will be making a lot more of these! lol

Thanks so much for stopping by today and I hope you will check out this weeks challenge.

6 comments:

Maya Ariffin said...

Oh love it!! We chose the same ones again!! Great minds think alike! Lol! I love the crown all in pink *drool* I bet your girls will love it! Cause I do! :D

Maya xx

Amy Johnson said...

So pretty and girly! Love all your embellies!

Unknown said...

totally adorable...and clever ideas of making them into something the party goers could wear ....cool in the words of the young...brilliant ..hug s sassyxx

Maria Matter said...

you did a beautiful job on this crown Lora, love it!!!
hugs

birthday invitation cards for kids said...

A child's birthday is a great reason to have a party. Kids love parties – the games, the presents, the cake – and most adults are pretty fond of them, too. Your perfect party starts with a great theme and that theme can start with the perfect kid's birthday invitation.

Regina Easter said...

omg what a beautiful crown...so pretty...hugs